The purpose of laws is to guide human behavior by placing certain actions out of bounds. We make illegal the things that which we do not want done.
Occasionally, we pass some truly moronic laws:
- We banned the incandescent lightbulb in favor of crappy expensive lightbulbs that contain a deadly neurotoxin.
- In New York has banned pistol magazines that hold more than 10 rounds but there are no exceptions for police officers and no compliant magazines available for use.
- In Maine, It's Illegal To Have Christmas Decorations Up After Jan. 14
- In Nevada, It Is Illegal For A Man To Buy Drinks For More Than Three People At A Time
- In Arizona, it is illegal to have more than 2 dildos at a time in your home
|Be sure to take these down before January 15th!|
The more laws the more offenders. ~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
The problem is that the political forces that got the law passed in the first place prevent them from being repealed.
So the government simply decides not to enforce the laws that it has passed. The government ignore the laws that are on the books.
This is not a solution.
It merely create the situation where the specter of government persecution hangs over everyone's head. How can you be free citizen when you violate dozens of laws everyday, and the police will only prosecute you if you don't fall into the protected classes. This is a recipe for corruption and abuse of power.
Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny. ~Edmund Burke
One of the problems we have in this country is that we have too many laws. So many things are illegal that the law is virtually unknowable. Every man woman and child in this country is in violation of one or more Federal laws and regulations.
This creates a situation that allows the government to punish virtually anyone it wants at any time that it wants. This is a recipe for tyranny.